you already comprehend,
but if forgetfulness persists
on the opposite side of the
fence where you now reside,
I now serve as a reminder.
My hands tenderly caress
echoing equine elegance.
Within their eyes, I can see
in that way of all breezes
finally where you departed.
Prolegomena aka Starters/Sutters Toward Contexts
"... that any coherent understanding of what language is and how language performs, that any coherent account of the capacity of human speech to communicate meaning and feeling is, in the final analysis, underwritten by the assumption of God's presence. I will put forward the argument that the experience of aesthetic meaning in particular, that of literature, of the arts, of musical form, infers the necessary possibility of this 'real presence'... the seeming paradox of its] 'necessary possibility'... when we come face to face with a text and work of art or music which is to say when we encounter the 'other' in its condition of freedom, [it] is a wager on transcendence... a wager on God." — George Steiner, from Real Presences p.3
William Hawkins BORN KY JULY 27 1895
Self-taught artist William L. Hawkins (1895–1990). American Folk Art Museum in NYC
Hawkins Horse
How would he now depict it,
even a corner of it,
paint it,
busy with the making
of it -
belly's too much,
needs thinning, haunches
trimmed too to size, or
not,
concise seizure of
eye and paint dependent
upon hands, monumental
concerns aright or at least
perspectives' private
suffering amidst, against,
or in the teeth of,
daily concerns
taken on as
ultimate-form
It is
visual commentary, response
imaged, is backyard ruin put
to good uses, kindness extended
in hammer's claw on cast
off wood, it is Crow near the
barred door, and with heart,
with heart meds, provide limit
to dulling
descents,
such may then
find yet-again's
Desire, may
plunge further,
deeper,
into muck magic of
shorter days given
to winter, to longer
nights generously
dumped proportion
control upon the human
Such occupies, with familiars,
allusive smears serving now
and ahead who will partake
of the offering, what will be
held, will be healed in their
beholding
nuanced in cloud swatch
in land swath tumbled
"Caballero," which is derived from the word "caballo," horse, originally meant horseman or a nobleman on horseback.
He looked at me inquisitively.
"I'm a horseman without a horse," he said with a big smile and then he added, "I've told you that my name is Juan Matus." - from Journey to Ixtlan -The Lessons of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda
I found my "horse" just a few kilometers steeply up a well worn dirt road from Ixtlan de Juarez to a fish camp with cabins to let and all the "trucha" (trout) you could eat, caught fresh from the tanks, cleaned, and straight to the grill. My wooden horse, not Trojan, was a Giacometti-on-peyote artist rendering of a horse, prehistoric as it is, and works for me still, the horse, and yes, the Giacometti flare -
NOT the peyote.
Imma wimp when it comes to "heroic" substances that induce encounters that more often than not cause breakdowns rather than breakthroughs - s'just my opinion gathered from younger years of working in psychiatric institutes, drug and alcohol rehab, and halfway houses; more than a few patients/clients/ residents had partaken of what are called in primal cultures of the still alive, old but not calcified into creeds/dogmas "sacreds" - herbs and potions and secretions (say, a toxic blue frog in the amazon, similar reptilian fluids that, in very small amounts induce, hopefully, a direct encounter with what is referred to as, indeed sacred, which NOT the same use of the word in Western religions aka "all Good and Light identified" claiming that THEIR version IS the Final Word and that their version is the only right and true one. Well folks -
NOT all the time.
And Carl Jung did say,
God is a trauma.
He didn't stop there but needed to say it out loud.
In the shorter light, the extended
night of cold and star-bright questions,
may you cast clumsy net forward into
what it all might mean to fretted you,
to me, stretched canvas, though I will
not thrust these words upon your paint
or palette but make offering for your
own work to feed us through the eyes;
perhaps time to remount the horse
and soldier on, or to fall again, gain
Damascus perspective, from one's
back watch vision distort massive
horse into a God receding into necessary
darkness foregoing image,
see what may form in the spreading dirt,
what resurrection there is in the smell of paint.
SO, early October, North Carolina, Asheville area….1981 DOT DOT DOT or, rather,
BLOT BLOT BLOT . . .
One LSD trip, early 60's tab of blotter acid a friend gave me from a goodly pure acid stash for his future years, a good investment for the crazy cultural years ahead. He had bought plenty of tabs from his days in San Fran at the height of the hippie hay day, no smoking the hay, pleae.
My trip while in a deep depression in the late '70's had a positive impact on me and within two months I was out of the south and soon in NYC - HARLEM when Harlem was still, well, Harlem. I loved the mountains of the southern Blue Ridge and Smokeys where I could hide away, withdraw, and pace my human encounters but at some point even the mountains, in many of my dreams, were insistent and screaming at me - GET OUT! YOU WILL DIE IF YOU STAY HERE. So, I had already read Jung's autobiography, knew that dreams are very important, so, with an acid trip that ended on a golf course in downtown Asheville, 3 am, and a little tiny dwarf of a sign poking a few inches from the green on the 18th hole (I found out later it was the 18th as I knew nothing about golf and found it one of most stupid wasts of time in the universe)…I opened up a little lid of a metal box on. the top of pole, and there was writing, a mesae that said:
NO MULLIGANS
I imagine tripping, not knowing golf form a hole in the ground (I am SO sorry) and reading that - and I knew it was, whatever it meant, was the revelation from God that I needed.
Next day I called a friend who wsa a Golf-iain, like Christian, only his religion really was GOLF, ask him what NO MULLIGANS means and he said,
NO SECOND CHANGES
BINGO. I got my marching orders and was, as I said, taking my chances in HARLEM and Manhattan, USA.
Meanwhile, THE PHOTO - Horse n me:
A great place to get away from tourists Mexico though one must pass through Italian which Carlos Castaneda made world famous in ongoing series of his (rumored to be) apprenticeship with a Yaqui sorcerer called Don Juan. Ixtlan is a Mecca of old hippies, mostly European, walking around in white tunics locally made…I could take about on hour there then fled to the fish camp remoteness….and, yes, I had my.worn paperback Castaneda, Journey to Ixtlan, lol. Guilty as charged but I was In my late teens/early 20's when Castaneda published one book after another in his series of (rumored to be) encounters with Don Juan, don Genaro and fellow apprentices. A great read but enough is known, confirmed now by researches, that Castaneda was actually more a novelist though he did have degrees in anthropology of Mexican culture, religion, etc.
Castaneda in truth was a con man, and drug addicted at the end of his life but pretending to be a shaman guru, had himself 4 or 5 women disciples (mistresses) who all killed themselves after his death so they could join him in the astral plane.
I was already hip to the real Castaneda, the real "Joe", Jose, rather, when I got to Ixtlan but he did preoccupy me much when younger as. he, his books, were an international phenom…the Western culture was hungry for alternative spiritualities to the stale wafers that had woven themselves into politics and national identities, the USA especially, and that still, arrrggghhh! is going on now. Cristofascism is much easier to "do" than are the actual teachings of the namesake of the religion (and its zillions of flavors around the world.
Even at the fish camp, just an observation, NOT a judgement were many Virgin of Guadalupe, saints of kinds, statues, prayer cards…Catholic mysticism braids into local and national pre-Christian religion and practices….has its horrors and charms as do all religions since they are manifested in all too human human groups. They are actually, as Jung pointed out, vast collective psychologies shaped by geography, clans, environments, weather, etc. The psyche is endlessly creative, activated by what and wherever it, in humans, is manifest.
S'why I say, and not in a reductive way, "all deities are local."
Basta!
Click here to read, out of chronological order of Castaneda's books, Journey to Ixtlan - The Teachings of Don Juan:
Journey to Ixtlan: The Lessons of Don Juan : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Click here to read, out of chronological order of Castaneda's books, Journey to Ixtlan - The Teachings of Don Juan:
https://archive.org/details/journey-to-ixtlan/page/8/mode/1up
No comments:
Post a Comment