"we are returned to the fragility of birds" - Raul Voz
The year I almost became a Catholic
5 stars rose from your breasts in Spring.
My nest was a sudden disturbance in blue.
A veil, a floating head, bleeding thorns
adorned your white throat.
I was compelled away from my boat from
fishing long nights only to arrive ashore with
torn nets and apparitions upon my knees.
Without will my cursing ceased.
I discovered I was speechless.
I learned to speak with my hands.
Curious circular clouds surrounded
particular heads without logic and
genuflections strange rearranged
the air in front of my chest while I
sat upon or hid the left hand.
Purple became everything dear.
Roses diminished before your bare
pink feet treading upon a serpent
entwining each ankle like a tourniquet.
Virgin stars minus 5 surrounded
your curved shape defiant of robes
meant to convey the holy restraining
in my groin.
Odd collections mounted in the attic where I had
retired to cloister up and wait.
Leaden pilgrimage up and down pointless
stairs accumulated distance.
My beard became a convention of lepers and bells,
fingernail parings, clumps of hair, bits of flesh,
sacks of ears, all relics in the making.
I became an accountant numbering and listing each holy scrap.
I tried not to be critical but my eyes lied.
I could not confess except by pencil,
leaving notes and grease stains
for the priest to interpret.
Absolution my hope,
a mute vow was my prosthesis.
Then Spring returned.
My boat sank. All mended nets,
a year's work, were lost.
Nothing to do.
I return to you,
a parenthesis
in the sea of loneliness.
Each star, each breast, you have removed
in my absence, mourning made permanent,
scars upon your throat oddly fish-shaped.
Astonished, my voice returns, curses, then caresses,
withered left hand free to unravel regret nerve for
nerve, the only net worth mending.
I reserve this one strange act from a year of orthodoxy,
to anoint your feet with tears.
I dry them with my hair, your outstretched arms
a beseeching beyond emptiness, your chest barren
but for my hands remembering the uses of prayer,
kisses but murmurs, rumored stars where swollen sails had been.
[photo by Warren Falcon - all rights reserved]
No comments:
Post a Comment